Michael J. Betz is a partner in our San Francisco office and leader of our Jury Trials practice group. Michael’s practice focuses on complex commercial and corporate litigation conducted in California state and district courts. He is an extremely experienced trial attorney who litigates insurance recovery, complex technology, corporate, breach of contract, partnership, limited liability company, unfair business practice, tortious interference, construction defect, employment, professional liability, real estate and land use cases. Many of his cases have shaped the law in a particular field and received significant attention. He has a broad spectrum of clients ranging from corporate entities to individuals.
Michael's experience includes:
- 3-4 trials per year.
- hundreds of depositions, including parties, executives, professionals, and experts.
- prosecuting and defending applications for temporary restraining orders, preliminary injunctions, applications for right to attach orders, temporary protective orders, applications for writs of possession, petitions to reinstate partnerships and all things civil in nature.
- hundreds of law and motion matters including demurrers, motions to dismiss, discovery matters, dispositive summary judgment motions, pre-trial pleadings and post-trial motions.
- Selected for inclusion in Northern California Super Lawyers (2014-2015)
- Daily Journal named Berg & Berg v. City of San Jose, argued by Robert R. Moore and Michael J. Betz, a "Top Plaintiff's Verdict by Impact" in 2012
Michael received his B.S. and his J.D. from Pepperdine University. Michael was born and raised in San Francisco, and often participates in local community and charity events.
- U.S. District Court, Northern and Eastern District of California
- 9th Circuit Court of Appeals
- U.S. District Court, Western District of Washington