Barry H. Epstein is a partner in the San Francisco office and a member of the Land Use and Environmental & Natural Resources Practice Groups. His practice focuses on energy law, water rights, land use, and natural resources, representing private and public clients in permitting, transactional and litigation matters.
Barry's energy and public utility practice involves power plant and transmission line siting and permitting in California Energy Commission and local agency venues, public utility regulation before the California Public Utilities Commission, and power transactions.
In the area of water law, Barry represents growers, ranchers and other rural landowners, as well as water companies and districts, in surface and groundwater rights, water supply and water quality.
In the areas of land use and real estate, he represents private property owners, developers, business owners and public agencies in matters involving development and use of land, including local government planning and zoning, Coastal Act permitting, development-related real estate transactions, NEPA and CEQA compliance, and related litigation.
In the natural resources area, Barry handles wetlands, endangered species, and land conservation permitting, enforcement and transactional matters that arise in connection with the ownership, development, use and preservation of land.
- Bar Association of San Francisco: Environmental Law Section, Executive Committee member, 2003-2015
- State Bar of California: Environmental Law Section, Advisor, 2006 - Present; Executive Committee member, 2002-2006 Real Property Law Section member
- Coastal Conservancy Association, President and Board member (2002-present)
- City of Oakland General Plan Congress, appointed member (1996-1998)
- The Julia Morgan School for Girls, Founding Board member (1997-2005)
- Named among the Top 50 Development Lawyers in California by the Daily Journal (2014)
- Selected for inclusion in The Best Lawyers in America in the field of Natural Resources Law (2014 - 2017)
- Named among the Top 100 Lawyers in California by the Daily Journal (2009)
- Selected for inclusion in Northern California Super Lawyers (2004 – 2016)
- Martindale-Hubbell AV® Preeminent™ rated
Barry received his B.S. in business administration, Phi Beta Kappa, highest honors, from the University of California, Berkeley, in 1978. He received his Master's of Public Policy degree from the University of Michigan School of Public Policy in 1981 and his J.D. from the University of Michigan Law School in 1982.
- All California state courts
- U.S. District Court, Northern District of California
- U.S. District Court, Central District of California
- U.S. District Court, Eastern District of California