With a wide-ranging tax and business practice, Thomas W. Henning's experience spans across a wide spectrum of transactions for corporate as well as individual clients. Heading up deals with an emphasis on tax planning and entity structuring, Tom has developed and implemented a variety of creative tax planning strategies for partnerships, individuals and corporations. Tom advises public and private REITS, institutional and individual investors, as well as families on their personal and estate planning needs. With over 35 years of experience, he offers extensive tax knowledge to clients that range from real estate developers to multi-national companies.
Tom has counseled investors, developers and others in negotiating more than 250 partnerships, joint ventures and limited liability companies, including start-up ventures, commercial and resort development projects, investment funds, family limited partnerships. On the dissolution side, Tom has represented partners in connection with friendly and unfriendly partnership buy-outs and buy-sells, dissolutions and workouts. He also provides counsel for corporate mergers, acquisitions and reorganizations for shareholders and companies.
Tom has served as an adjunct professor in the Graduate Tax Program at Loyola Law School since 2000. Additionally, he has lectured extensively and authored numerous articles on tax planning and business formation.
- Los Angeles County Bar Association, past chair, Foreign Tax Committee
- American Bar Association
- State Bar of California, past chair, Real Estate Tax Subcommittee
- Beverly Hills Bar Association, past chair, Tax Section
- Los Angeles International Tax Club
- Los Angeles No Name Tax Club
- Volunteer Chaplain Los Angeles Men's Central Jail
- Los Angeles County Bar Association Dana Latham Award for Outstanding Los Angeles Tax Lawyer (2014)
- Selected for inclusion in Southern California Super Lawyers (2004 - 2017)
- Selected for inclusion in The Best Lawyers in America in the fields of Litigation & Controversy - Tax, and Tax Law (1995 - 2017)
Tom graduated with a B.A. in economics from the University of California, Los Angeles, and received his J.D. from Georgetown University Law Center and an LL.M. in Taxation from New York University.
- United States Supreme Court
- U.S. Tax Court