Pauline M. Stevens is a partner in the Los Angeles office and heads the firm's Commercial Finance Practice Group.
She represents lenders, administrative agents and borrowers in connection with domestic and cross-border financial transactions ranging from leveraged financings to Chapter 11 exit financings, trade financings, credit enhancement, private banking and asset-backed financings. Financial products with which she works include acceptances, foreign exchange products and letters of credits. These transactions frequently are secured by intellectual property, real property, restricted stock and other non-traditional (and sometimes exotic) collateral.
Among the assets comprising collateral in the transactions on which Pauline works are commodities, designer label apparel, manufacturing equipment, fine art, fresh and processed food products, gas stations, investment quality wines, land development projects, rights to payment from various sources (including commercial mortgage notes, equipment leasing and entertainment residuals), restaurants and vineyards. It is common for these transactions to involve intercreditor and subordination arrangements with other lenders, factors, franchisors, take-out sources of re-financing and trade creditors.
By bringing to bear an understanding of clients' businesses, experience in a broad array of transactions and wide-ranging substantive knowledge, Pauline helps clients solve problems creatively. Her in depth knowledge of commercial and creditor laws provides Pauline the ability to negotiate and close complex financing transactions on compressed timelines. Clients depend on her to work with them to achieve results that work for all parties.
In addition to lecturing on commercial finance topics, Pauline's writing has won her a Burton Award for Legal Achievement, and she has been elected a fellow of the American College of Commercial Finance Lawyers. Prior to joining Allen Matkins, Pauline was a partner at Morrison & Foerster LLP and, before that, an assistant general counsel with Bank of America.
- American Bar Association
- American College of Commercial Finance Lawyers, Fellow
- California State Bar Association
- Documents of Title Subcommittee of the American Bar Association Business Law Section Uniform Commercial Code Committee, past Chair
- Executive Committee of California Bar Association Business Law Section, past Vice-Chair
- Financial Lawyers Conference, past Board member
- Los Angeles County Bar Association
- Secured Transactions Subcommittee of the American Bar Association Business Law Section Uniform Commercial Code Committee, past Chair
- Uniform Commercial Code Committee of California Bar Association Business Law Section, past Chair
- Burton Award for Legal Writing, 2006
- Recommended in Banking & Finance by Chambers & Partners USA (2007 - 2016)
- Selected for inclusion in The Best Lawyers in America in the field of Banking and Finance Law (1998 - 2017)
Pauline received her B.A. from Vassar College and received her J.D. from University of Pennsylvania Law School.