Frederick L. Allen is one of the premier real estate and finance attorneys in America. He is a founder and the senior partner of Allen Matkins. For 50 years, he has been counsel to many of the nation's most prominent development and investment companies in connection with hundreds of successful major projects in California, Hawaii, and throughout the country.
Fred represents real estate owners, developers, institutional investors, lenders, pension fund advisors, contractors, and asset management companies with respect to a wide range of projects, including the acquisition, financing, development, leasing, management and sale of office buildings, industrial parks, shopping centers, mixed-use projects, residential development, hotels, resorts, and golf course projects.
Fred is experienced in the formation of partnerships, joint ventures, management agreements, and in structuring complex debt and equity finance issues including workouts. He is probably best known for his ability to creatively analyze legal and business issues and to quarterback ongoing projects to effectively manage the delivery of specialized legal services. Fred is dedicated to providing excellent legal services on a cost-effective basis.
In addition, he directs our firm's international real estate practice. Fred represents U.S. subsidiaries of prestigious foreign companies with regard to investments, development, and construction projects. He also represents American investors, developers, and contractors with projects in Asia, the Pacific Rim, and Mexico. These projects include the formation of joint ventures with foreign companies, financial institutions, and government entities for the acquisition, development, and financing of office buildings, hotels, industrial parks, resorts, golf courses, retail, shopping centers, mixed-use, and residential developments.
Fred also is active in numerous professional, civic, and charitable organizations. He is a frequent writer and speaker on real estate and finance issues.
- American Bar Association
- California Bar Association
- Los Angeles County Bar Association
- State Bar of California, Commercial and Industrial Development Subsection, past chair
- State Bar of California, Real Property Section Executive Committee, past vice chair
- Urban Land Institute (ULI), member of the Steering Committee of the Los Angeles 2011 Fall Meeting and member of the Pacific-Rim Subcommittee for the Los Angeles 2011 Fall Meeting
- Real Estate Roundtable, Washington, D.C.
- Stanford Professionals in Real Estate (SPIRE), member of the Board of Directors
- Hoover Institution at Stanford University, member of the Board of Overseers
- Selected for inclusion in The Best Lawyers in America in every edition
- Selected annually for inclusion in Southern California Super Lawyers
- Named among the Top 100 lawyers in Southern California by Southern California Super Lawyers magazine
- Outstanding Real Estate Lawyer award, Los Angeles County Bar Association (2006)
- Inducted into the Stanford Real Estate Hall of Fame (2015)
- Allen Matkins has been named since 2002 as the number one real estate law firm in California by Chambers USA.
After graduating from Stanford University in 1961, Fred served as a naval officer aboard the aircraft carrier, USS Ranger (CVA-61). He received his J.D. from the University of California, Hastings College of the Law.