Lee F. Gotshall-Maxon is a partner, in our San Francisco office, whose practice focuses on the representation of developers, investors and lenders in all phases of real estate acquisition, development, financing and disposition. His experience includes the formation, management and restructuring of LLC's and partnerships and complex financing transactions. Lee's projects have included office, hotel, industrial, retail, single family, and multifamily developments throughout California and the Southwest.
Lee has also been extensively involved in the representation of landlords and tenants in all aspects of office, retail and industrial leasing and property management issues. On the landlord side, he has represented institutional property management firms, asset management firms, trustees, insurance companies, major hotels, and financial institutions in reviewing, documenting, and negotiating leases and property management agreements. On the tenant side, he has represented both new and established enterprises in negotiating and renegotiating sale-leasebacks, leases, subleases, and lease assignments for premises in California and numerous other states. He has also handled numerous Building and Planning Code and disability access issues.
Lee frequently speaks and writes on real estate issues.
- American Bar Association
- California State Bar Association
- Urban Land Institute
- International Association of Attorneys and Executives in Corporate Real Estate
- San Francisco Planning and Urban Research Association
- Building Owners and Managers Association, Government Affairs Policy Advisory Committee
- Past President of the Board of Directors of the Volunteer Center of Marin
- Former President of Central City Hospitality House, a non-profit organization providing emergency housing, job counseling, and related services for homeless adults and youth in the San Francisco Tenderloin; publisher of the Pulitzer Prize winning Tenderloin Times.
- Former member of the Board of Directors of the Legal Aid Society of San Francisco.
- Member of the Government Affairs Policy Advisory Committee of the Building Owners and Managers Association. This committee addresses numerous regulatory issues of concern to building owners and managers including Building Code and disability access issues.
- Member of the Board of Directors of Presidio Graduate School, formerly Presidio School of Management. The college has a distinctive program for an MBA in Sustainable Business Management, an MPA in Sustainable Public Administration and an Executive MBA program. I was among the original Board Members of this school which has over 600 graduates and current students.
- Selected for inclusion in Northern California Super Lawyers (2010 - 2016)
Lee graduated, cum laude, from Dartmouth College in 1975 in government with a certificate in Urban and Regional Studies. He received his J.D. from University of California Hastings College of the Law in 1980, where he served on the Hastings Law Journal, was a member of the Thurston Honorary Society and was awarded the Order of the Coif.