Michael L. Matkins is a founding partner of the firm and one of the country's leading lawyers in real estate development and finance. For more than 40 years, he has advised institutional investors, lenders, property owners, and developers in all aspects of purchase, sale, and financing of properties ranging from office and retail to recreational and mixed-use projects. He guides institutional lenders and investors through the complexities of real estate investing, offering established expertise in loans, joint ventures, partnerships, sale-leasebacks, and other forms of financing and investing. Michael has been involved in numerous multi-hundred-million-dollar real property asset portfolio acquisitions and dispositions. He has also represented institutional investors in the restructuring of substantial investments in California real property, as well as institutional developers in acquiring, entitling, and developing master-planned communities.
Michael is a frequent speaker on real estate and finance trends for various professional organizations.
Memberships and Boards
- University of Southern California, Lusk Center for Real Estate, advisory council member
- Stanford’s Professionals in Real Estate, Board of Governors member
- Urban Land Institute, Board of Governors member
- Urban Land Institute, Los Angeles, Board of Advisors member
- Dermody Properties, Advisory Board member
- Dedeaux Properties, Advisory Board member
- Dansk Investments, Advisory Board member
- PeerStreet, Inc., Advisory Board member
- Consistently ranked as one of the best real estate lawyers in California by Chambers & Partners USA
- Selected for inclusion in The Best Lawyers in America in the field of Real Estate Law (1987 - 2017)
- Selected for inclusion in Southern California Super Lawyers (2004 - 2017)
- Continuously designated a “Leading Individual,” as a California real estate lawyer, the highest ranking given by Practical Law Company
- Featured in the Los Angeles Business Journal's Special Report on Who's Who in Real Estate
- Selected as Co-Chairman of Urban Land Institute's Fall Meeting; 75th Anniversary (2011)
Michael is a graduate of Stanford University and received his J.D. from the USC Gould School of Law in 1970.