Gary S. McKitterick is a career real estate lawyer handling some of the largest and most complex real estate transactions in the country. Gary is a partner in the firm's Orange County office and is the former Vice-Chair of Allen Matkins Real Estate Practice Group. He handles real estate transactions of all sizes on a national basis representing large technology companies and office, retail, industrial, medical and residential developers and investors in a wide range of projects. Gary has been selected as one of the top real estate lawyers in America by Best Lawyers in America from 2003 to 2016.
Public and privately held companies rely on Gary to structure and negotiate complex transactions. For example, he was the lead lawyer for the acquisition of a skyscraper in Chicago that was, at the time, the largest single asset transaction in the history of Chicago. He also handled one of the largest land transactions in the history of California when Gary structured the sale of over 437,000 acres of land to the Bureau of Land Management and a private conservancy.
In the last two years alone, Gary has structured development, acquisition, disposition and investment deals valued at more than $4.8 billion. Gary is also involved in active construction projects with total project costs of more than $2.25 billion.
Gary is one of the leading transactional development and construction experts on the West Coast and has authored a chapter on construction management issues for Mathew Bender. He has lectured on construction matters for graduate schools at USC, UCLA and UCI and has written numerous articles covering such subjects as "Organizing and Planning a Project" and "The Role of Construction and Development Management."
- UC Irvine Center for Real Estate – The Paul Merage School of Business, Board of Advisors (2008-present)
- Hoag Memorial Hospital Presbyterian, Newport Beach, California, Board of Trustees (2007-present); Chair of the Board (2013 - present); Executive Committee (2007-present)
- Hoag Orthopedic Institute, Irvine, California, Board of Trustees (2011-present)
- American Diabetes Association – Orange County, Executive Advisory Committee (2007-2010)
- Orange County Father of the Year and Fathers Day Council, Executive Advisory Committee (2007-present); Fathers Day Council, Chair (2008 and 2009)
- Harbor Day School, Newport Beach, California, Board of Trustees President (1998-2000); Executive Committee (1994-2001); Board Member (1993-2007)
- Sage Hill School, Newport Beach, California, Board of Trustees (Founding Member of the Board) (1996-1997)
- Stanford Professionals in Real Estate
- Urban Land Institute (ULI)
- International Council of Shopping Centers (ICSC)
- National Association of Industrial and Office Parks (NAIOP)
- Orange County Gang Reduction & Intervention Partnership, Board of Directors
- Named the Best Lawyers' Orange County Real Estate Law "Lawyer of the Year" (2013)
- Selected for inclusion in The Best Lawyers in America in the field of Real Estate Law (2003 - 2017)
- Selected for inclusion in Southern California Super Lawyers (2004 - 2013)
- Listed in OC Metro as one of Orange County's Top Lawyers in Real Estate Development and Construction (2009)
- Selected as a leading expert in the United States in the field of real estate by "The Legal 500 – United States" (2007, 2008 and 2009)
- Orange County Father of the Year Honoree 2006
Gary obtained his B.A. from Stanford University in human biology and his J.D. from Loyola Law School.