A name partner of the firm, Anton N. Natsis is Chair of Allen Matkins’ Real Estate Department and is one of the top real estate attorneys in the United States. His practice focuses on development, leasing, purchase and sale, and portfolio investment sales transactions involving office, retail, and industrial projects, as well as arbitrating numerous fair market value disputes, CAM disputes and other significant landlord/tenant disputes. He also has extensive experience in debt, equity, and joint venture workouts, and the purchase of distressed assets and distressed debt. Tony is continually sought out by some of the largest national land owners, such as J.P. Morgan Asset Management, Blackstone Real Estate, Brookfield Properties, HCP, Vornado Realty Trust, Regent Properties, The Irvine Company, Boston Properties, Equity Office Properties, Kilroy Realty, Inc., Beacon Capital Partners, MPG Office Trust, Kamehameha Schools (The Bishop Estate) and Westfield Corporation. He represents many governmental entities, including the LAUSD, State of California, and City of Anaheim. Tony is also frequently retained as counsel for major national office tenants, such as AT&T, Citicorp, the FDIC, AIG, The Walt Disney Company, and the Los Angeles Times.
A frequent lecturer and author, Tony is the chief consultant for the California Continuing Education of the Bar Commercial Leasing Series, the legal education reference book on leasing for California attorneys, is an adjunct professor of law at Loyola Law School for a course covering commercial real estate transactions, and has spoken before such national real estate groups as ULI and BOMA. Tony is a founding board member of The Ziman Real Estate Center, which is governed under the joint auspices of the UCLA Anderson School of Business and the UCLA Law School.
In the past decade, Tony has closed commercial office leases exceeding 50 million square feet. He has worked on real estate purchase contracts with a total consideration of more than $30 billion and on development transactions with a total consideration in excess of $25 billion. Since 2006, Tony has represented clients in office building portfolio investment sales transactions involving over $75 billion of consideration.
One of Tony's most significant transactions is the largest real estate acquisition deal in the history of the United States. He provided extensive real estate services in connection with Blackstone Real Estate's purchase of Equity Office Properties Trust, at that point the largest owner of office space in the U.S. other than the Federal Government, for $43 billion. Subsequently, Blackstone contracted to sell over 50% of the properties it purchased with such sales closing in the first and second quarter of 2007. Tony assisted Blackstone in its acquisition due diligence related to EOP and the subsequent sales of the properties. The transactions related to this deal included Maguire Properties' purchase of Blackstone/EOP in Orange County for $2 billion, Irvine Company's purchase of Blackstone/EOP in San Diego for $1 billion, Morgan Stanley's purchase of Blackstone/EOP in San Francisco for $2.5 billion, and Beacon Capital Partners’ purchase of Blackstone/EOP Seattle for $6.3 billion.
- Ziman Real Estate Center, Founding Board Member
- American College of Real Estate Lawyers
- Recognized as a leading lawyer in California real estate in Chambers & Partners USA (2004 - 2016)
- Named to Law360's Real Estate MVP list (2015)
- Recently selected as one of the 100 top attorneys in Los Angeles County by Southern California Super Lawyers
- Selected for inclusion in Southern California Super Lawyers (2004 - 2016)
- Selected for inclusion in The Best Lawyers in America in the field of Real Estate Law (1995 - 2017)
- Named one of California's Top 25 Real Estate Lawyers by the Daily Journal (2013)
- Selected for inclusion in Who's Who in Real Estate Law by the Los Angeles Business Journal (2013)
- Selected for inclusion in Who's Who in L.A. Law by the Los Angeles Business Journal
- Named to the Daily Journal's Top 100 Lawyers
- Named among "People to Watch" by Real Estate Forum
- Selected as a member of the LawDragon 500 Top National Dealmakers
- Named one of California’s Top 30 Real Estate Lawyers by the Daily Journal (2012)
Tony graduated cum laude from the University of Michigan in 1980 with a bachelor's degree in business administration. He earned his J.D. from the University of Michigan Law School in 1983.