Marshall C. Wallace is a partner in the firm’s San Francisco office. Marshall is one of the Bay Area's preeminent trial lawyers, focusing upon high-stakes, complex business disputes. Marshall represents plaintiffs and defendants. For a quarter century Marshall has compiled a track record of victories in challenging unfair competition, business tort, contract, fraud, insurance, corporate, and real estate cases. Marshall specializes in state and federal cases alleging violations of California's UCL, FAL and CLRA.
Marshall has tried many cases and arbitrations, eliminated numerous putative class actions, and handled many accelerated injunction proceedings.
Marshall's work has focused on the following industries:
- Technology: Marshall defends unfair competition, false advertising, fraud and breach of contract cases against leading technology companies.
- Financial Services: Marshall defends prominent lenders and settlement service providers in complex class actions and unfair business practice cases, including defense of excessive charge allegations, RESPA, TILA, Fair Debt Collection and similar claims. Marshall has obtained dismissal and summary judgment in dozens of putative class actions and repeatedly beat class certification attempts. Marshall has defended, prosecuted and won multiple complex cases involving hard money lenders.
- Real Estate: Marshall represents residential and commercial landlords, investors, owners and brokers in sophisticated contract, financing, condemnation, and land use disputes.
- Construction Materials: Marshall has represented multiple companies involved in all aspects of sand and gravel mining, including land use, contract, and merger and acquisition disputes. Marshall has handled many issues arising under SMARA and related Surface Mining Ordinances and permits.
Marshall is the Editor of CEB California Trial Objections and the author of CEB Summary Judgment manual.
Marshall spearheaded the Alameda County Bar Association Trial Practice Section's initiative to provide pro bono court representation to underserved citizens of Alameda County, in collaboration with the ACBA's Volunteer Legal Services Corporation and the East Bay Community Law Center. Marshall helped launch and actively participates in the day-of-trial volunteer mediation program for Alameda County's Direct Calendar Courts.
Consistent with Allen Matkins' ethic, Marshall puts client interests ahead of firm revenues. He staffs cases leanly, typically with one associate and a paralegal. Marshall commits to deep personal involvement in the cases he handles.
- Association of Business Trial Lawyers, Northern California Chapter - Board of Governors member
- Alameda County Bar Association, Trial Practice Section
- Selected for inclusion in Northern California Super Lawyers (2012 - 2016)
- Selected by Benchmark: Plaintiff as a Local Litigation Star (2013)
Marshall graduated with his B.S., summa cum laude , from Princeton University, in engineering, in 1981 and was elected to Phi Beta Kappa . Marshall went on to receive his M.B.A., from the University of California, Berkeley and his J.D. from University of California, Berkeley, School of Law at Boalt Hall.