Allen Matkins offers clients in the entertainment and media industry a wide range of services.
We provide forward-thinking, value-driven legal advice to an industry that is constantly evolving. We work with clients in both traditional entertainment (motion pictures, television and music) as well as digital media (animation, visual effects, online music, videos and games, and cutting-edge digital enterprises, including production, distribution and content development).
We also represent entertainment industry lenders, executives and service providers, such as talent agencies and managers, visual effects companies and others.
Our work for clients in the entertainment and media industry has included issues and matters such as:
- Entertainment Finance and Capital. Strategic advice to entertainment industry clients seeking financing and investment opportunities, including entertainment industry lenders, financial institutions, private equity funds, hedge funds and mezzanine funds, executives and service providers.
- Mergers and Acquisitions. Representation of acquirers and targets in connection with the acquisition or sale of entertainment companies or assets, including films, TV shows, participations, residuals and other assets.
- Litigation and Litigation Avoidance. Comprehensive representation handling complex business disputes through alternative dispute resolution and litigation across a variety of areas impacting clients in the entertainment and media industries, including breach of contract, distribution rights, production disputes, disputes over ownership and control of intellectual property, and real estate and environmental disputes.
- Labor and Employment. General counseling on employment contracts, wage and hour compliance and audits, workplace safety, mass reductions in force, employment policies, training of management and other employees as well as representing and defending entertainment and media clients in various employment disputes and government proceedings such as occupational safety and health appeals and hearings before the Labor Commissioner.
- Real Estate. Real estate counsel in all facets, including leasing; financing; land use and environmental matters; negotiation of consulting, project management and architect agreements; purchase and sale of properties; and representation in real estate disputes and litigation.